I Tried Every Popular Productivity Method for 30 Days. Here's the Honest Result
This started as something I told myself I'd do for a week.
The week turned into a month because I kept switching methods every time one stopped working, which happened faster than I expected with most of them. By the end I'd gone through Pomodoro, time blocking, Getting Things Done, the two-minute rule, eat the frog, deep work scheduling, and a few others I found in a Reddit thread at 1am that I can no longer find again.
None of it went the way the blog posts about these methods suggested it would.
the first week: Pomodoro
Picked this one first because I'd heard about it the most. Twenty-five minutes on, five minutes off, repeat until the task is done or you've lost the will to live.
The first couple of days went okay. By day three the five-minute breaks were stretching to fifteen because I'd pick up my phone and forget to put it back down. The twenty-five-minute blocks were also shorter than my actual work needs, writing and coding both take longer than that just to get moving properly, so I kept hitting the timer right when things were finally going somewhere.
By day five I was ignoring the timer whenever it felt inconvenient, which was basically always. Switched out before the week finished.
week two: time blocking
Blocked my entire day into slots the night before. Felt organized in a way that lasted until about 9:15 the next morning, when a message came in that needed a response and I'd left no room for anything unplanned.
Spent ten minutes shuffling blocks around and ended up behind before lunch. A couple of days later I'd blocked two hours for something that took four, and everything else in the calendar was off for the rest of the day from that point. I spent the afternoon either ignoring the whole thing or checking it anxiously and feeling worse each time.
Kept going until the week ended because I'd said I would. Relieved when it did. Probably fits people whose days are more predictable, which mine mostly aren't.
week three: GTD and the two-minute rule
I didn't do the full Getting Things Done system. Just the capture-everything habit, one inbox for anything regardless of size, and the two-minute rule, which says if something takes under two minutes just do it right away.
The capture habit stuck in a way nothing else from this month did. Before the experiment I was tracking things across my phone notes, a pinned browser tab I kept meaning to deal with, and a mental running list I was constantly losing things off without realizing. Having one place for all of it removed more low-grade background stress than I expected. Still doing this now, which I genuinely didn't think I'd be saying.
The two-minute rule sent me sideways every time. I'd start something that felt quick and surface thirty minutes later having done something completely unrelated to what I was supposed to be working on. Dropped it around day ten.
week four: eat the frog and deep work
Eat the frog is starting with the thing you've been putting off, before checking anything else in the morning. Deep work is just protecting a chunk of time for focused work without interruptions, usually early in the day.
These two ended up combining in a way the other weeks hadn't.
Mornings where I started on the thing I'd been avoiding, before opening email or tabs or anything, felt noticeably different from mornings where I didn't. Not in a dramatic sense, just less of that feeling of already being behind before anything had actually happened.
Around day twenty-two I started leaving my phone in the next room during the morning block, mostly out of frustration after a rough stretch, and then never went back to keeping it at my desk. My phone has been in another room every working morning since then. I don't know whether that's the method doing something or just a change I needed to make regardless. It's the thing I'd point to if someone asked what actually shifted during the month.
thirty days later
Of everything I tried, what's still running is the capture-everything inbox and starting the morning on the avoided thing before I look at anything else. Both still going six weeks after the experiment ended. Nothing resembling a formal system in sight.
Pomodoro, time blocking, the two-minute rule, all gone within days of trying them. Not because they're bad, probably, just because they didn't fit how my days actually work.
the part none of the books mention
Every system I tried was built around the idea that the problem was structural. That I needed a better framework to get things done.
Sometimes that's true. Other days I'm not starting a task because I'm genuinely uncertain whether I can do it well, and a timer or a calendar block doesn't help with that at all. On those days what actually moved things was starting somewhere inside the task that felt less daunting, or telling myself I'd just do ten minutes and see where it went.
Most productivity writing skips this entirely. It assumes you want to do the work and just need organising. The days where that assumption is wrong are the ones where the systems run out of answers.
if you want to try something like this
You probably don't need thirty days. One week with a single method, done the way it's actually designed rather than a modified version of it, is usually enough to find out whether it fits how you work. The place where it stops fitting is more useful information than any write-up about the method will tell you.
I started this looking for something that would fix how I work. What I found instead was two habits and a phone charger in the next room, which is a much less satisfying answer. It's also the one that's still here two months later, which I suppose is the only thing that matters.
If you're a developer or student, I also put together something on the tech skills that keep showing up in hiring decisions right now, based on paying attention to enough job posts and conversations that patterns started appearing. That one's here: DIRECT LINK!!
0 Comments