I Built a Full-Stack App Using Only AI Prompts for 30 Days: Honest Results

Full Stack Blog Banner

I Built a Full-Stack App Using Only AI Prompts: Here's What Actually Happened (30-Day Experiment)

Day 11 was the day I almost quit.

The app had been working for four days straight auth, database, a dashboard that actually looked decent. Then I changed one feature using Cursor, and something inside the auth flow broke in a way I couldn't describe to the AI accurately enough to fix it. I spent six hours in a loop: describe the bug, get a fix, break something else, describe that bug, get a fix, break the first thing again.

That's not in the YouTube videos. Nobody makes a 14-minute tutorial about the six-hour loop.

I started this experiment after reading a thread on LinkedIn where a founder claimed he'd shipped an entire SaaS in 72 hours using only prompts, zero manual code. I was skeptical, I'm an IT student who can write code, but I wanted to know if the experience would actually hold up at real complexity. So I set a rule: 30 days, a real full-stack app with auth, a database, and a live deployment. No manual coding. Only prompts.

What follows is what actually happened.

Over 30 days, I built a working habit-tracker app with user auth, a Supabase backend, and live deployment using only AI prompts and zero manual code. Speed was real: days 1–7 were genuinely impressive. But 45% of AI-generated code contains security vulnerabilities (Veracode, 2025), and I found several in mine. The productivity gains were real. So were the walls. Here's the week-by-week breakdown.

Read: tech skills that are actually getting people hired right now

Week 1: The Part Nobody Warns You to Enjoy

I used Lovable for the first five days. Picked it because it shows a live preview immediately, no setup, you describe the thing and it exists.

My first prompt was specific: a habit tracker where users log daily habits, mark them complete, and see a 30-day streak count. Clean design, mobile-friendly. I had something usable in about 40 minutes. A UI, a form that worked, a streak counter that actually counted. I remember thinking: this is either the beginning of something, or the beginning of something I'm going to regret.

Days 2 through 5 were when I understood the hype. I added features conversationally, the way you'd talk to a junior developer who works much faster than any junior developer you've ever met. "Add a weekly summary that shows which habits I completed most consistently." Done. "Add a way to archive a habit without deleting it." Done. "Change the color theme to something that doesn't look like a banking app." Also done, though it took three rounds of iteration to land where I wanted.

By Friday of week one, I had a genuinely polished-looking app.

What Is AI-Only App Development, Exactly?

Before I get into what broke, a quick definition because people use "vibe coding" to mean wildly different things.

The version I tested: I described every feature and every change in plain English. The AI wrote all the code. I never opened a code editor manually. When something broke, I described the bug to the AI and asked it to fix it. When the fix broke something else, I described that. The loop was: describe → generate → review visually → iterate.

This is meaningfully different from a developer using AI to write faster. I wasn't reviewing the code or understanding the implementation. I was evaluating outputs the way a client would by whether the thing worked, not by whether the code was clean.

Citation Capsule

Building a full-stack app using only AI prompts means using natural language to generate, revise, and debug all code without writing or reviewing any syntax directly. Per Veracode's 2025 analysis of AI-generated code across thousands of repositories, 45% of AI-generated outputs contained at least one OWASP Top 10 security vulnerability making prompt-only development viable for prototypes but risky for production apps handling user data.

Week 2: When I Moved to Cursor and Things Got More Complicated

I moved to Cursor in week two because Lovable started hitting walls. Anything involving user authentication sign-up flow, session persistence, redirect after login was inconsistent. It worked in preview, broke in the deployed version, worked again after a specific prompt, then broke differently. I couldn't pin it down.

Cursor was a different experience. It shows you the code it writes, which meant I could at least see what was changing, even if I wasn't writing it. Agent mode let me describe a feature and watch it open files, run commands, and chain multiple edits across the project.

This is where the security issue showed up.

I asked Cursor to add Supabase for the database. It did quickly, cleanly. The dashboard populated with real data. I felt good about it. Then, three days later, I was poking around the project files for an unrelated reason and found that an API key was sitting in a config file. Not in an environment variable. Just... there.

how AI is replacing junior developers work day-to-day

<cite index="32-1">Escape.tech's scan of 5,600 vibe-coded applications found over 2,000 vulnerabilities, including 400-plus exposed secrets and 175 instances of personally identifiable information sitting in plaintext.</cite> After finding my own exposed key, that number stopped feeling abstract.

I fixed it by describing the problem to the AI "this API key should be in an environment variable, not hardcoded in this file. Can you move it and update all references?" and it worked. But I only caught it by accident. Someone building their first project who never opens the file tree wouldn't have.

The Part That Actually Changed How I Think About This

By week three I had to be honest with myself about what I was doing.

I wasn't evaluating code quality. I wasn't catching security gaps systematically. I was moving fast and hoping the AI's output was sound. And for a prototype, that's probably fine. For something with real user data or payment flows, it isn't.

<cite index="29-1">AI-generated code was 1.88x more likely to introduce security vulnerabilities than human-written code, with production incidents per pull request increasing 23.5% between late 2025 and early 2026, per industry analysis from CodeRabbit.</cite>

What I didn't expect was how much the prompting skill mattered. My outputs in week three were noticeably better than week one not because the AI changed, but because I got better at describing things precisely. "Add a login form" gave mediocre results. "Add an email and password login form with client-side validation, an error message that appears inline below the field when the format is wrong, and a loading state on the submit button while the request is processing" gave something I could actually ship.

That gap between those two prompts? That's the real skill here.

What Breaks Most Often in Prompt-Only Development

Based on thirty days of this:

Auth flows. Every single time. Session handling, redirect logic after login, "remember me" persistence these break in ways that are hard to describe precisely enough to fix without some code-level context.

vibe coding for complete beginners...tools and first workflow

Security defaults. The AI optimizes for "working" more than "secure." It will leave an API key exposed, skip row-level security on a database, or generate an auth flow that works but has edge cases it didn't think to handle.

Multi-feature interactions. Adding feature B sometimes breaks feature A in ways neither you nor the AI predicted. And if you don't notice immediately, you might have three more features stacked on top of the broken one before you catch it.

Citation Capsule

The most consistent failure points in prompt-only app development are auth flows, security defaults, and feature interaction bugs three categories where AI tools optimize for functional output rather than secure or robust output. A 2026 security audit found that 73% of AI systems showed exposure to prompt injection vulnerabilities, while 27% of developers unknowingly shared sensitive data through AI coding tools (SQ Magazine, 2026).

Week 4: What I Actually Shipped

By day 28, the app was live. Real deployment, real URL, real users (three friends I roped in to test it).

What worked: the UI was genuinely good. The streak counter and weekly summary worked. The Supabase integration was solid once I fixed the key exposure issue. The mobile responsiveness was better than most things I've coded manually.

What I had to work around: I never got auth to feel truly solid without having a developer friend review the Supabase RLS settings. He spent about 45 minutes on it. Technically, that violated my "no manual code" rule. I'm counting it as a necessary asterisk.

The thing that surprised me most wasn't the speed, though the speed was real. It was that the bottleneck wasn't the AI. It was me. My ability to describe what I wanted precisely, to recognize when an output had a problem, to articulate bugs in language the AI could act on. Developers who use this well aren't people who've stopped thinking about software. They're people who've gotten very precise about describing it.

Is Building a Full-Stack App with Only AI Prompts Worth It?

Honestly? For a prototype or a personal project, yes, genuinely. I'd do it again.

For anything with real users, sensitive data, or production stakes: you need a developer to audit at least the auth and security layer. <cite index="20-1">An April-May 2026 test of four major AI app platforms by CODERCOPS found that AI can build full-stack apps in 2026, but "build" and "ship to production" are very different things, with security gaps, architectural debt, and debugging complexity all being points where human engineering judgment remains essential.</cite>

That's not a knock on the tools. It's just an accurate map of where they are right now.

What I didn't expect was how much I learned about describing software precisely. Thirty days of this made me better at requirements thinking, at asking "what exactly does this need to do in every situation?" before asking for it. That transferable skill surprised me.

Key Takeaways

  • A fully functional habit-tracker app with auth, database, and deployment is achievable in 30 days using only AI prompts, no manual code required.
  • Week 1 speed is real and impressive. Week 2+ is where complexity, security gaps, and debugging loops appear.
  • 45% of AI-generated code contains OWASP security vulnerabilities (Veracode, 2025). Assuming your output is secure is the biggest beginner mistake.
  • The core skill isn't prompting, it's describing software precisely. That transfers to every kind of development work.
  • For prototypes and personal projects: prompt-only works. For production apps with real users: get a developer's eyes on auth and security before shipping.
  • Auth flows are the most consistent pain point. Treat them separately, add them last, and test them thoroughly.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can a complete beginner build a full-stack app using only AI prompts?

Yes, with the right tool and a realistic scope. Platforms like Lovable and Bolt.new require no programming background. You describe the app, the AI builds it. A simple full-stack app (form, database, basic dashboard) is achievable in a few days. More complex features like user auth, payment flows, or real-time updates take longer and involve more debugging loops. According to a 2026 test of six AI app platforms, only tools with a built-in product model step reliably produced multi-screen, connected apps from a single prompt. what the job market actually rewards in 2026

How long does it actually take to build a full-stack app with AI?

A simple MVP user auth, a database, a basic dashboard took me about two weeks of part-time work across 30 days, including debugging time. Clean demos can happen in hours. Production-ready apps take longer because of security review and iteration on broken features. A 2026 study of vibe-coded apps found that idea-to-prototype timelines compress from weeks to hours, but "demo-ready" and "production-ready" timelines remain very different.

Is AI-generated code secure enough for real users?

Not by default. Veracode's 2025 analysis found 45% of AI-generated code introduced at least one OWASP Top 10 vulnerability. In my own experiment, an API key ended up hardcoded in a config file instead of an environment variable. For personal projects and internal tools, the risk is manageable. For anything handling real user data or payments, a security review of at least the auth and database layers is essential before going live.

Which AI tool is best for building a full-stack app without coding experience?

For beginners, Lovable is the most accessible starting point with live preview, no setup, no terminal. For people comfortable seeing code but not writing it, Cursor's agent mode gives more control and handles larger multi-file projects better. Google AI Studio is the strongest free option. The right tool depends on complexity: simple apps do well in Lovable or Bolt; anything involving complex auth, background jobs, or multi-user permissions benefits from a tool that exposes the code.

What's the biggest mistake people make when building apps with AI prompts?

Vague prompts and trusting the first output. "Build me a login system" gives you something functional-looking that may have three security gaps you won't find until something goes wrong. "Build an email and password login form with row-level security on the Supabase table and a rate limit on the auth endpoint" gives you something you can actually ship. The gap between those prompts is where most beginners lose time.

Can you really build a production app without writing any code?

Technically, yes. Practically, you'll hit points where some manual review, not necessarily writing code, but understanding what the code is doing, makes the difference between a secure app and a vulnerable one. My experiment landed at: fully prompt-driven build, one developer review session for auth and security. I'd call that honest rather than pure.

What happened when things broke?

The debugging experience is genuinely different from traditional development. You describe the bug in plain English, the AI attempts a fix, and you check if it worked visually. The problem is that AI fixes sometimes introduce new bugs, and without reading the code, you don't always catch them immediately. Complex bugs  especially in auth flows can spiral into multi-hour loops where you're no longer sure if you're making progress or going in circles. Having a developer friend available to look at specific files was the thing that saved week two.

Explore: if you're testing your productivity and learning habits alongside this

Have you tried building something with AI prompts? What broke first for you? I'm genuinely curious whether auth is as universally painful as it was in mine.

Post a Comment

0 Comments